Perseid Meteor Shower

On the night of the 12th August, I lay on a rug in the garden, staring into the stars, looking at the beautiful meteors streaking the sky. I saw over fifty in total, and just missed them every single time with my camera. I was beginning to think that it would never happen and I'd never be able to take a photo with one of them in.

I was taking 30 second exposures, and from the moment when I pressed down the shutter until I heard it close again, I would wait, staring intently at the stars, waiting for that meteor to flash across the sky, willing it to be within the frame of the shot I was taking. Every time the shutter clicked at the end of an exposure was another wasted shot.

Then finally, as I looked at the stars whilst the camera took a shot, I was certain that the screen on the back of my camera would reveal another blank sky, but instead one of the biggest meteors I'd seen shot across the sky.

Nails digging into my palms, I waited for the camera to process the photo and for it to appear on the screen. I've never been so relieved to see a photo in my life.